Wednesday 7 April 2010

Wednesday's Challenge

We were eagerly waiting to show off our round robin blocks this morning and wanting to see what had happened to our little pieces of work. We weren't disappointed. I had Pat's block and I chose to do a very simple border but found in my stash the perfect colour for it. It has now gone home with Kate.



Wendy had my block and I am thrilled with what she has done to it . Thank you Wendy, it looks great and had I to do the next round myself I would have set it on point. It has gone home with Pat.



Kate had Rosemary's block and she did flying geese around the border reversing the colours part way round. Perfect colours.



Pat did a great job of adding a strippy border on Margaret's beautiful block.



Margaret added triangles in Kate's Six Sisters block.



Last but not least, Rosemary did a great job of her border on Wendy's little block. This has come home with me. Think I know what I am going to do to it.



We have 2 weeks now to do the next stage. I have a few other odd blocks lurking in a cupboard and it would be a great way of making yourself do something that is a little different and think outside of the box.

Today I have made a few more beach birds and they are beginning to look like a flock of seagulls. I am trying to use up those bits and pieces that get thrown in a box although any piece of fabric that I own counts as scrap.So far I haven't repeated any fabrics. The left overs from one of the creams became part of the klosjes. Prepped a few of those today too. It has been a good day.



Thought you might like to see part of this lovely piece of work that was hanging at Westpoint. It dates from the late 1800's and is still pieced over the papers.



This piece of art was amazing. quite a large piece and if you had a big wall space to fill then it would look fantastic.



I have to apologise for not acknowledging anyone as I didn't write down names.

If you like looking at antique quilts then head over to Barbara Chainey's blog as she is posting photo's of the quilts in her private collection. Barbara is a fantastic hand quilter and you need to see it.

http://barbarachaineyquilts.wordpress.com/

Have a great day.

Love Shirley.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shirley, really like the antique quilt and the round robins look great. I did a strip robin last year I will put it up on my blog at some point. Thanks for the good wishes you left on my blog.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirley, thanks for the kind comments and link. Love the way these Round Robins are progressing, don't they look great? And I think I may have to submit to the Great Klosje stitching - can you point me to an appropriate set of instructions/measurements? If not, I shall just improvise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Shirley, The Round Robins look fantastic. You girls are so clever! Your birds are coming along nicely and love that hexagon star quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Round Robins are coming on so well, can't wait for the next round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Shirley I do love the bird blocks. So very modern. Isn't it amazing how we all do such different works? It's why I love quilting blogs so much.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting Wednesday challenge, everybody has done a fine job. I am still loving your birds I am looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete