Saturday 10 April 2010

The Farmer's Wife

I bought this fabulous little book this week called The Farmer's Wife. It comes with a cd rom and all the pattern shapes are there to download to make all the 6" blocks.
The Farmer's Wife was an American magazine and in the 1920's posed the question to it's readers " If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you, in the light of your own experience, want her to marry a farmer?" Ladies were invited to write in with a prize of $200 for the best letter. The magazine had over 7,000 entries and the book reproduces some of these letters. It all makes for very interesting reading. Each letter is illustrated with 2 blocks from the quilt.



At Westpoint I bought a charm pack, because it was in pinks and because I loved it. This is my basis for my version of The Farmer's Wife quilt. I am going to see how many blocks I can get from this pack. Of course I shall be cheating a little as I already have some of these fabrics in my stash and it will eke out the backgrounds and the larger patches that will not fit on a 5" square. (I don't have very many reproduction fabrics). I am also hand piecing the blocks and using freezer paper to draw out the pattern pieces. Isn't freezer paper a fantastic invention. Who for instance and why/how did someone figure out that a roll of waxed paper used for wrapping food in for the freezer would be ideal for sticking to fabric and useful for making templates? I would love to know the answer to this one.



Block 1. Attic Window



It doesn't much look like an attic window to me but, it was the first block and it had to be made.

Block 2. Autumn Tints



I know the block doesn't look very autumnal but that is deliberate. There weren't any autumn colours in the pack so I have renamed it Spring Tints because the deep pink squares remind me of all the blossom that is appearing down my road.

Klosjes total - 73. Yes I know, I only managed 3, but better that amount than none at all. I did prep a lot more and have more fabric to add to the box.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Happy stitching

Love Shirley.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed hearing about that book. I have seen it, but never really looked at it. I will take a closer look next time. :) The block you made are so beautiful!!! I love the color combos you are using and I look forward to seeing more from this. 3 Klosjes are better than none! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to seeing more of the Farmer's Wife blocks - they're looking great already! Am still considering the Klosje situation ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about doing this quilt Shirley...please let me know what you think of the book and instructions..
    Look forward to see your progress..
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book sounds really interesting - I bought some books from Amazon last week and that was one that Amazon suggested that I might like. I think I'll get it next time.

    I love that pink button fabric. I have been eyeing it off at my LQS for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shirley, I haven't seen that book before but the little bit of the quilt on the cover is gorgeous. Love the fabrics that you have chosen and will be eagerly watching your quilt progress. 3 Klosjes is good, that means I did 3 more than you this week and maybe can start to catch up! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fabric you have chosen for your farmers wife blocks- looks like feedsacks which is what was mostly available to farmers wifes in the 30's .I have quiet a few originals which I have picked up on my travels . I have yet to decided what to do with them. Maybe I should start some Klosjes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book looks really interesting. I like your fabric choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You blocks are looking good definitely spring not autumn, however is that another start and was it on the list LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friends and I have discovered this book recently and have fallen in love with the project. Now most of our quilt group is joining the project. I have only made 4 blocks so far, one under repair and another under construction. We share our templates and have more fabric than we need but are sharing that as well. Sounds like you are enjoying this one as much as we are. Good luck and I hope you don't mind if I pop in to check your progress from time to time.
    Elyte

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen this book somewhere, but those brain cells have long gone, but the letters are what reminded me of it.
    I made and orange (surprise) quilt that was a buckeye/jewel pattern. Now no one seems to recognize it as it's been done in totally different colours than normal.
    I agree, that spring tint is a great name for that little block.
    I too love pinks and really don't have what would be considered "fall" colours in my little stash of lifes pleasures.

    ReplyDelete