Saturday 15 May 2010

Walk In The Park

As the weather was nice and warm for a change I decided to take myself the long way into town via the local park. It is not something I do very often but when I get there I always tell myself to go there more often. Most of the tulips had disappeared but a few beds were still in full bloom and these purple ones are my favourites.



These tiny little daisies just looked so pretty.



I had to lean right over the stream to get this shot hoping that I wouldn't lose my balance. I can be a bit clumsy at times.



Vivary Park has the most gaudiest fountain but I love it. The beautiful building in the background used to be Jellalabad Army Barracks but are now very nice apartments.



I just adore the cherubs.



Always on the look out for a good quilt pattern I reckon there must be several ideas here. This is around the base of the fountain. It would look good as a quilt design for a block or as an applique design. I may have to do this now to prove my point.



These three ducks were having a nice snooze but the little girl who stood near to me decided that they needed to be awake. I managed to photograph them just before they jumped in the water and swam off.



Valentina this one is for you.



I have started to assemble all the blocks with their sashing and it is now looking very different. I may not show it again until it is finished. I am priding myself on not having bought anything at all to make this quilt - apart from thread which seems to have taken a large amount.The backing I already had from a project long abandoned, as was the wadding and then Wendy gave some of hers to help me out. We do a swap sometimes if we need something. Neither of us liked the wadding which we had used for hand quilting but it machine quilts very well. Can't remember the name of it - something like warm and bright?!!!! The sashings would be whatever I had the most of in my stash. Lucky for me there was a lot of pink!!

I have been thinking of titles to call this quilt. Val has been giving me some of her scraps and calls them "gleanings" so that was one title. This one with apologies to Lennon and McCartney " I get by with a little help from my friends". I think I have settled on "Salvaged". Maybe you have one that I haven't thought of!!

Klosjes total still 91.

Happy stitching

Love Shirley.

10 comments:

  1. GReat post Shirley with lots of beautiful photos. Those little red daisies look fantastic against the green foliage, and I am imagining an applique block from the fountain. Your selvedge quilt looks fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Shirley, your post reminds me so much of our trip overseas three years ago. As we travelled through the US & Canada the cities were decorated with beautiful gardens of tulips. And the children would always humour me by posing in front of the many fountains throughout Europe and the UK. I do like your photo of the fountain with the old barracks in the background. I could cut & paste the kids into it! The quilt looks good happy and colourful. Lovely post to start my day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures! Thankyou for sharing!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures Shirley..I love tulips and the red daisies look lovely and bright..
    Your quilt look fab..how big are the blocks, I would love to use up some stash doing this..
    have a lovely day..
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the photos you've shared, the flowers are wonderful. Your quilt is looking fab but don't ask me for names, I'm hopeless but I think someone will come up with something good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring is definately my favourite time of year with all the fresh greens & lovely bright flowers. The selvage quilt is looking good, but sorry just can't think of any names.
    Have a good week.
    Gisele x

    ps. Treadles is still in Jersey, not a great choice of fabrics though :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shirley, Love the photos of your walk in the park.

    The quilt is looking the business! I am reading Larkrise to Candleford at the moment so my vote goes to Gleaning. (Lots of gleaning in the book - also The Gleaners is one of my favourite paintings).

    Have a great week.
    Shontelle.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Shirley, those tulips... the walk in the park... Oh My soul is refreshed and then you take that picture for me! I am so amazed how the sashing just changes things up and wow! Even better than before!
    I still think it should be named "Fresh Pickings"
    Maybe "Fresh Pickings Salvaged with a little help from my friends!"
    LOL
    Thank you for such a lovely post!
    xox
    V

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed my stroll through the park. I love fountains and could sit and watch them for hours. How about "something out of nothing" for your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is so enjoyed strolling with you! Quite dreary and drab here this morning,. so it was great to see all the bright and beautiful flowers...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete