Monday 11 May 2015

Pendle Hill Centre

I cannot believe that it is already a week ago since the last day of the workshops with Di Ford Hall.  This quilt has me gripped and I have stitched on it virtually every day. The centre of the urn is now completed and stitched to a square in readiness for the next stage which is to apply flowers to the edge of the circle.


My new passion is pentagons. These beautiful little flowers are stitched using 5/8" papers. Each one I make I declare it my favourite. Warning! Highly addictive. I already have a few ideas for making lots more of these. For this quilt I need 56.


These little beauties belong to my friend Marie. We had great fun playing with ideas for these. Marie has some great idas too for a whole new adventure.


Posing with Di in front of Phebe and Rotherfield Grey. Those quilts are amazing. 


This week I bought this little tray in a shop in Wellington. I love the colours and the green  suits my home very well. It is Mason's and the backstamp says Paynsley Pattern. I have no idea of its age. I just really like it. Think I mght look out for a bit more now. It goes well with my chair!!


Today is a beautiful day. The sun is shining and it is warm and it is wafting the scent of these bluebells. As a child we used to play a game in the school playground called In and Out the Bluebell Windows. I did a bit of research into this game. Only in my area of Staffordshire is this game called Bluebell Windows, it is mostly known as Dusty Bluebells. What we used to do was form a circle holding hands high and one person would weave in and out of the bluebell windows and then that person would stop at a random person in the circle and we would sing "pat a little girl upon her shoulders" . She would then join in the weaving in and out until there were no people left and the game would start again until the whistle blew. As you can imagine, the patting upon the shoulders used to get a little vigorous at times especially as the chain got bigger. These games usually have their origins somewhere in history and this one I believe derives from the May Fairings. Anyone looking for a servant or anyone wishing to be hired as a serving girl would go to the May Fairs. The bluebells just so happen to coincide with appearing at the same time. The Hirer would parade up and down the line of hopefuls and when he got to one that he liked the look of she would be patted on the shoulder and they were hired. I am sure it would have extended to boys too.


Hope you are enjoying some sunshine and some stitching where you are.

Shirley.

14 comments:

  1. You're off and running with Di's new pattern. The pentagons are like little jewels. Each one is so interesting. What fabric did you use for the Broderie Peres? It has beautiful colors and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Fun! I can't wait to see what this quilt will look like -- for that matter, I can't wait to see Di's new book! Thanks for the story about the little game -- I love childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shirley !
    I love your pentagons ! We see everywhere hexies but pentagons change and are not usual !!
    Your fabrics are cute ! Is it a kit from a Di's quilt ?
    I wish you a nice day ....doing pentagons !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love....love ....love !!!
    Looking great Shirley...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Shirley and the Di Ford design is just perfect. Love your fussy cutting on the pentagons and will look forward to the next installment. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the pentagons. Thanks for the bluebell story too. We never played that one at school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post Shirley - love your centre block and the pentagons are just beautiful!! Have fun in the bluebells :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shirley, love your creative needle skills. Oh my, embroidery is something I did as a child, not in my adult life, but I do think of it often.
    Blue bells songs in Canada also, but done to skipping tunes. Blue bells grow wild in Texas I think, but not in Canada, too cold a climate for perennial. Pentagons. pretty cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the patience of a saint! Cold, cold, cold here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those pentagons look very, very attractive. Another gorgeous quilt on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so lucky to spend a quilting day with Di - not once, but twice. I've done Rotherfields Grey and am ready it put borders on Road 66. You've convinced me that I need to get started on pentagons soon. Your quilt center is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Somehow I have missed these blogposts...was nice reading about the game played and your lovely weekend with Di...and your hexiflowers are soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to see your Pendle Hill I have a class to start it in August and have been gathering fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are doing a wonderful job on your block.
    Could you tell me where you purchased the blue and cream stripe fabric in center circle?
    I have search everywhere.

    ReplyDelete