Firstly. Most of you know that I save scraps of ridiculous sizes and the box(es) are overflowing so, I decided that I would have a little play. I cut several strips of a plain cream fabric 3/4" wide. Then I picked up the scraps and just sewed them to a cream strip and just kept adding randomly until I had created a big enough piece. I like the crazy paved feel of this little piece.
All trimmed and bound, measuring 9" x 12". My intention now is to send it on a little adventure and donate it to the Alzheimers Art Quilt Initiative in the USA. (AAQI). Anyone who doesn't know what this is it is a wonderful thing where you can make and donate and buy online mini quilted treasures in memory of a loved one who has or is suffering from Alzheimers. All proceeds from the online auction go to the research for a cure of this terrible disease. I am simply calling this "Elsie" in memory of my mum.
I machine quilted it in the middle of each cream line. Just need to register it now before I can send it.
Having started the Scrappy Trip Around The World quilt I needed an action plan to get going with making more blocks so, my plan was to cut out all the remaining strips ready for some serious sewing. I needed 147 fabrics if I was to make the 72" square version. Hopefully my maths is correct and I have cut enough to finish what I started. This was no mean feat. It meant raiding the stash and digging deep to find 147 fabrics without repeating any. I think I have done it but not too sure that the odd one hasn't crept in. Anyway, mission accomplished and all strips ready for action.
A little progress has been made on Noughts and Crosses. Lizzie at broderie blog said that one of her sewing friends bought this pattern from her and then turned up 3 weeks later with all 42 blocks completed, all hand sewn. Phew! I am in awe. This is my humble offering but I am pleased with it so far. Maybe progress would be quicker on this one if I cut out the blocks en masse.
Had to have a little play at some fabric origami to try out this little hexagon. There was a very pretty bag on Pinterest made from these delightful fancies and it gave a link to a great tutorial so, i had to have a go. Cut from a 5" charm square you will get a hexagon with 2.5" sides, when sewn up it measures 1.25". The button hides the stitching that keeps the points in place.
It feels like it has taken me an eaternity to choose suitable fabrics for the centre of the Hertfordshire Quilt. Having found the bird fabric in my stash I then wondered how I was going to stop this from looking a dark and sombre quilt. I cut out the first row of points and that is where I got stuck. Hmm. I think at this point it was helpful to know what background the circle would sit in and I found the perfect fabric at a quilt show, a very soft peachy pink with a soft grey stripe. Now I think I am getting somewhere. The dotty fabrics were both from my stash and the white fabric has livened it up. Just have to stitch it all now. The mitred pieces are just glued down at the edge. I am sure I have given myself a big headache when it comes to deciding on what comes next but I will think about that when I get there. I really have no idea where this is going next.
Well, it is now 7.20am and time to get up, except that I have already been awake for over 2 hours and I need another cup of tea. I promise not to leave it so long next time.
p.s. Please go and pay a visit to my lovely friend Stina and wish her a happy belated birthday as she shows her celebrations.