Thursday 7 April 2011

Camelot - block 2

Block 2 of Camelot was a little more tricky having to set in those circles. I also changed the middle cross a little to take advantage of the fabric and match the stripe which I used in block 1. It did lie flat though without the help of spray starch and I am pleased. Having discovered that I have more than one or two bits of black fabric with pink in them I now have a plan - sort of! I am enjoying the challenge. Hand piecing allows you to be so much more accurate.



Pat has recently returned from a family wedding in New Zealand and came back with this quilt kit. It is all lovely fabrics with a New Zealand theme and it is looking good.



Kate is indulging in a little play with a fabric panel and attic windows. One of her guests at her quilting retreat was making something similar and she was quite taken with it. It looks very effective.



This next photo is of a reflection of the ceiling in water in Salisbury Cathedral. Now you know I am no photographer and those of you who know how to use your cameras properly will do a much better job. It was quite fascinating. The vessel holding all that water is a font installed in 2008. If you wish to see more fabulous photographs of the Cathedral then click on the link above.



Happy stitching.

Love Shirley.

12 comments:

  1. Love your Camelot block! Did you stitch it by hand or machine! And the NZ and Japanese quilts a lovely too. I have some NZ fabrics, and I never know what to do with them! Now I know ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem very inspired by the Camelot quilt and I can see why. I like how you have used the different pinks around the star. The ideas and inspirations are endless for us humble quilters, just not enough hours in the day to pursue our creative talents. Where is Merlin when you need him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous block 2...and some rather impressive piecing! I've only ever tackle one block that was similar to that and it was a real "challenge" (note the sarcasm) to put together! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely block 2. You are obviously getting the hang of the curved piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely block Shirley..
    You can do so much more shaped piecing with Hand -piecing...beautiful work on your block.
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous post. Block 2 looks incredibility hard to me and you did a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another gorgeous block. What are you doing to me woman, I even looked up the pattern, just managed to stop myself hitting the 'Buy' button!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am viewing with great interest shirley, block 2 is looking good! i am a handpiecer by choice because of the accuracy !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your block is impressive, and it passed the toughest test -- it was flat without pressing the daylights out of it. Well done!
    You're so right about hand sewn blocks being more accurate. I didn't realize that until I started working on Dear Jane blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shirley, Your second block looks fantastic and how good are you to have it sit flat without starch!!! The NZ kit looks interesting, as does the window scene, very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so impressed with your last shot. I usually don't usually like cathedral window quilts but I do like that one. I am impressed with those curves. The weather here has turned wintery very quickly I hope yours is turning summery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Shirley your block is so beautiful! I really like how it looks with the background. Still no news on mine, hoping it arrives soon, so I can see if it will work! xox

    ReplyDelete