Saturday 6 December 2014

Oh! Modern Christmas Tree

A few weeks ago my friend Stina from Kviltstina blog fame designed a pattern for a modern, low volume christmas tree and sent me the pattern details to proof read. I liked it so much that I just had to give it a go and put the Stitcherydo stamp on it.

I am proud and pleased to report that mission was accomplished and it is finished and hanging up on my hall wall. Three weeks from start to finish is little short of a miracle for me plus it is machine pieced AND machine quilted. Is it perfect? No. Have I learned things from making it? Yes. Do I love it? Absolutely.




Everything came from my stash. I did not buy a single thing. Did not realise I had so many lovely glittery christmas fabrics although one was a recent acquisition. The squares were already cut and stashed away from a session of making use of scraps. New they would come in handy one day. Free motion quilted tree bark and straight lines of quilting half an inch apart and it was done. I used a iron on glue based wadding for which I can only think I bought for bag making but it worked well and stayed in place and was in my stash waiting to be used.

If you want to make one of your own then there is still time and you can find the details on Kviltstina blog where Stina has generously shared it as a free pattern.

Happy Stitching.

Shirley.

16 comments:

  1. HUH... Where did my excited comment go... Into cyberspace perhaps!!! Will test this one and see if it vanish too... ;0))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like it went up into thin air and exploaded of excitement!!! Lets try again... Do I have to say that I'm overly excited about this tree... When I designed this pattern I had low volume in mind...but since I have a white tree at home it didn't work..so seeing this tree come to life it's an amazing feeling ...and fills me with such happiness...Shirley I am stunned and so filled with joy to see you fantastic tree... Love it very much!!! and a quick quilt to make to...you have a finish Shirley... Wohooo!!! Thankyou for making this tree and helping me out with the testing and proof reading!! Much love to you!!
    Sigh.. I am most happy for your tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded Stina's pattern too, not certain I can finish for this year, but...
    Yours is lovely & beautifuly quilted. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute Christmas tree quilt. I love the background fabrics and you have been a very "good girl" to only use stash fabrics ;)! Well done. Will go an check out the "original" right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Shirley, a very cute quilt - you've done a beautiful job as always :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it is very sweet. Well done to you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute but machine Shirley, machine?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your cute Christmas tree !! If I read the athers comments, you're not in the habit of using machine ??
    Your quilting is very amazing too....I'm going to see in Stina's blog !
    Thank you so much !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first saw your cute quilt over on Stina's blog. It's so fun to see her pattern in different fabrics. I Love the low-volume backgrounds that you chose -- they're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How clever of you Shirley! The quilting suits it so well - wonderful bark. Now you can make some baubles to decorate it?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fabulous and in good time for Christmas. The quilting looks great. Congratulations to Stina for such a lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks absolutely lovely! Must find the time to do some Christmas sewing myself. Nice pattern, Stina, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, how fabulous it looks! And how wonderful of Stina to offer it as a free pattern for us all to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely and I am really impressed with your machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely tree pattern, and you have done a wonderful job with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like how you interspersed brighter colors with the wood grain fabric for the tree.

    ReplyDelete