I promised Kate that I would try and finish something for her forthcoming exhibition in September at Come 2 Quilt. The big decision was which box to open first (oh there are so many) or, more to the point, which project would be more easily achieved. I eventually decided on a drunkard's path project. Drunkard's Path is my all time favourite block. It fascinates me. There are so many variations and so many names for the same block. This design came from McCalls Spring Edition 2007?!!!! I know. I know.
After a bit of unpicking, some blocks had been sewn the wrong way round and therefore abandoned with lost hope. It didn't take long to put it right and all blocks were stitched together and borders made. This quilt is for Sarah and Olly. Sarah asked if it could be made a bit bigger and I am in the process of adding another row. The blocks are 14". Sometime this week I have to make the really big decision on how to quilt it. I think I have a plan.
Being me means that I save the scraps. Someone said to me that the way I made my drunkard's path blocks wasted fabric and so to prove a point that with a bit of careful thinking it doesn't. I make my blocks using a method of paper piecing. You cut out two squares of fabric and lay a paper template over the top and tack through the layers just above and below the curves, then you cut away the top layer to reveal the curve underneath. Now this is the really clever bit, with a pin/needle you turn under the curved edge just 1/8" and stitch the edge down. Remove the paper and trim the back. It may sound like a complicated way of stitching this block but believe you me it works brilliantly and is so easy. Does any one else do it this way? I also have a plan to use the spare curves that were cut away.
Back to the scraps.
This little pile of cut out corners were put right sides together
and trimmed on a 45 degree angle. Being a big block there were decent sized angles to play with.
As you can see, the only wastage are those really thin straggly bits and they can go in the doggy cushions.
All those scraps have now become this .... ta da! A cushion top to go with the quilt.
The unusual setting happened by accident as I sewed the rows on the wrong way round and I decided that I liked it so it stayed put. I haven't measured it but it is about 15".
This week has been quite productive and I have also completed block 12 of Camelot.
That means now just 4 more to go.
Valentina has put together all her blocks and it looks fab. Do go over and check it out and also leave her a get well message. She has been very ill but is thankfully on the mend.
The 12 blocks together.
Hope you stayed this far and if you did enjoy your sewing.